Sunday 7 February 2010

Day 24 - Zelda

(writing this the morning after, again. Shape up, lad.)

Looked after the kids all day. Oh, they're fun but soo tiring. Michael spent the whole day complaining that he wanted to use the computer to send text messages to Grandma. I'm sure she'll appreciate them.

Sylvia complained the house was a mess when she got back. Which I think was thoroughly unfair, it wasn't that untidy, and I was actually in the process of cleaning it.

In the evening, tried Zelda: Twilight Princess on Efrain's Wii. Kinda boring, wandering around this little village with no particular quest to achieve. Nothing I was doing mattered; and in the end, stopped playing because I couldn't work out what I was meant to do next. Then I tried the original Zelda from 1987 - Man, what a difference! They had it all figured out back then.

Without a single piece of explanatory text, it was clear that here I was on an epic quest, first collecting a sword to fight off the wildlife, then exploring a dungeon, finding my first piece of the Triforce (what's that? Doesn't matter, it's clearly a golden mcguffin), finding a Bow (don't have any arrows yet, but I can see where to get them)... holy shit. They should make modern game developers play this and learn where they've gone astray.

Simple gameplay (no tutorials necessary), self-explanatory situation (no cutscenes necessary) = genius instant-appeal game, regardless of 1987 graphical quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment